Thursday, May 04, 2006

FINALLY! GEEKS CAN REJOICE! BREAK OUT THE LIGHTSABERS!

Rejoice fellow geeks, for our time has come!  Lucas, through the magic of the almighty dollar, has come to his senses and, on September 12th, will release the ORIGINAL - yes, ORIGINAL Star Wars episodes on DVD!  w00t!  Finally we can see the movies the way I first saw them, and acknowledge that yes, it's not the best "quality", but it's the MEMORY that counts and the influence that these films had on society.  It's like comic books and baseball cards - the 1st print is always the more valued version, even if they reprint it on shinier paper, retool the cover artwork, and make it impermeable to weather.  People want the original because it was the first.  Nothing can take being 1st away, there will only be ONE first (due to the nature of the essence of "first"), and people like to relive the past through classics.  Classics remind them of their childhood, help them go back to that place/time where they had those feelings, and by having originals, people get to do that.  It's like Disneyland.  People always talk about how good Disneyland was, and will talk about rides that aren't there anymore - why?  Because it was what they remember from their past, and they want to recreate those emotions so they can relive the past vicariously through these tangible things.  Sure, the new rides are good, but they aren’t the old ones…until a new generation comes along and replaces those rides and people will wax nostalgic for the ones that have gone.  The same goes for anything from the past that people have an emotional attachment to.  For an amusing take on this phenomenon, listen to “I Wish I Could Go Back To College” from the musical Avenue Q.  Here’s an excerpt that proves my point:

“I wish I could go back to college.
Life was so simple back then.
What would I give to go back and live in a dorm with a meal plan again!
I wish I could go back to college.
In college you know who you are.
You sit in the quad, and think, "Oh my God!
I am totally gonna go far!"


I wanna go back to my room and find a message in dry-erase pen on the door!
Ohhh...
I wish I could just drop a class...


 But if I were to go back to college,
Think what a loser I'd be-
I'd walk through the quad,
And think "Oh my God..."
"These kids are so much younger than me." ”

Well, I can now sleep soundly knowing that I can show my kids someday the REAL Star Wars the way they are meant to be seen (4,5,6,1,2,3) and, gasp, actually have them make sense!  Not only that, but it's a great tool to spark discussion on why we need history and not let people re-write it and pretend the past doesn't exist (the answer to that disucssion is money makes the decsions btw).  But that’s a moot point!  I can now watch Star Wars with my friends, family, and strangers and revel in the glory that is the ORIGINAL!

(Cue the 20th Century Fox Fanfare!)


And as an official side note, I hereby declare that on the September 15th or 16th 2006 (Friday or Saturday), I will be hosting a party (place tbd) to watch and celebrate this glorious occasion!

2 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

I'll be in Europe that week, but I'm not hugely into Star Wars anyways, so I'm sure you'll be able to carry on without me.

Yes, I've seen the original trilogy.

No, I didn't see any of episodes 1-3.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Han shoots first!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home